PHP stands for “Hypertext Preprocessor”. It is an open-source scripting language and a powerful tool. It is widely used for creating dynamic websites, interactive page content.
Uses of PHP and the Basic Overview of PHP
- PHP is the most used language for websites all over the world nowadays. Most of the websites are made with WordPress and WordPress has a large number of plugins and these plugins are made in PHP.
- World’s biggest social media network Facebook which is run by PHP.
- PHP is used to create application software like stock management, inventory management, billing software, and custom application, etc.
How PHP works
Benefits/ Advantages of PHP / Overview of PHP
- PHP is used to control user access authorization.
- With PHP we can display images, PDF files, and even Flash movies.
- We can run PHP on various platforms like Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.
- PHP is compatible with servers like Apache, IIS, etc.
- PHP is supported by a wide range of databases.
Requirements for running PHP programs/scripts/codes
- First of all, install any local server like WAMP or XAMP, etc.
- Install any editor like notepad++ or code-lobster or sublime text etc. but in my case, I use code-lobster mostly due to its reliable features and I recommend you to use code-lobster if you want.
How to run PHP programs/scripts in local server
Type in the address bar of your browser “localhost” then you can see a list of Index which contains the folder names of your PHP scripts or projects. Again type “localhost/PHPMyAdmin” in the address bar then a screen will appear with username and password.
Type the username with “root” and leave the password field blank and press ENTER. Now you are in PhpMyadmin where you can create a database and the corresponding tables for the PHP projects.
To run the scripts or projects you did just go to the address bar and type “localhost/name of the PHP script file with .php extension as “localhost/helo.php” then you can see the output of the script which is executed by the server and returned back in the browser as plain HTML.
NOTE:- I hope this tutorial will help you to understand the basic overview of PHP. If you have any doubt then please leave your comment below. Know more about PHP